Welcome!

Welcome to the B. Blog! What's happening right now with me will ALL be seen here. Upcoming performances, auditions, any and everything to do with my journey as a professional actress.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Too Much.

May 13, 2015- Too Much.

This is probably the most honest I have been on paper in a while. Yes, I am always being honest with you all….but this is me being truly transparent. I saw something the other day, a video, that truly inspired me. And I am usually the one who keeps quiet about stuff like this but…wow.

I watched a video of our First Lady Michelle Obama giving the commencement speech at Tuskegee University and Lord knows when to shine the right light on you: provide you with the words that can see you through to your next step and destination. Read this:

…And all of this [public slander] used to really get to me.  Back in those days I had a lot of sleepless nights worrying about what people thought of me…but eventually I realized that if I wanted to keep my sanity and not let others define me, there was only one thing I could do and that was to have faith in God’s plan for me. I had to ignore all of the noise and be true to myself and the rest would work itself out. So throughout this journey I have learned to block everything out and focus on my truths. I had to answer some basic questions for myself: who am I? No really, who am I? What do I care about? And the answers to those questions have resulted in the woman who stands before you today.
First Lady Michelle Obama

I, myself, have been labeled as “too loud” or “too emotional” or “too intimidating” or “too serious”--- just plain “too much”. And I used to really let it affect me, you know? Like I thought I wasn’t enough and NOW I am being told I am “too much” of something. And this is not particularly with men but also with friends and family members. I mean I have tough skin for days but those words really get underneath your skin. Like digging a hole and planting a seed. And if planted by the “right” person…can grow into a fruitful yet poisonous tree. Bearing the fruits of a broken spirit and…I am choosing not to tend those branches anymore.  We are not perfect. We have done things in the past that we cannot change. For those who still hold you accountable for those actions, they clearly haven't seen you for who you are now. People can change; both for the good and the bad. I had some necessary changes to make, believe me! If it wasn’t for my “too much” personality, I wouldn’t be able to write these words of encouragement to the next person.

I am a woman who is, first and foremost, a child of God and secondly…an artist.


First Lady Michelle Obama Full Commencement Speech at Tuskegee University:
https://youtu.be/qhUKwl5NFgE?t=11m5s


Brit

Twitter: @Broadway_B

No comments:

Post a Comment