Welcome!

Welcome to the B. Blog! What's happening right now with me will ALL be seen here. Upcoming performances, auditions, any and everything to do with my journey as a professional actress.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Working Actor: Set Life.

May 28, 2015- Set Life.

I usually don't blog about my gigs or being on set too much. And to be honest, I don't know why. I think I am so used to using my blog as a motivational point that I forget to give myself self-praise or celebrate successes. And there is nothing wrong with patting yourself on the back.

I am very blessed to have a balance between being a full-time grinding actor and working a full-time job. Mind you, like I mentioned before, I look forward to the day when there isn't a division between the two. But for now I am thoroughly enjoying myself and highly grateful. Set life and being a working actor are so rewarding. Not because of the payoff in the end but what you experience on set. The people you meet, the conversations you have. Watching professionals create a set from scratch: the lighting, the props, etc. It is pretty awesome.

My latest gig was for a car commercial. They are so much fun to do! It's May and the weather was beautiful and I got to be truly in my element. Set life: no matter how many gigs you have had or how many sets you have been on,  it all comes down to one thing: Etiquette.  Etiquette gets you hired again. Etiquette builds rapport. Etiquette sets you apart from the rest. Truthfully, it identifies the amateurs from the professionals. When you hear "QUIET ON SET" or "TALENT TO PLACES" anything coming from someone of authority, you respect the command and go forth. I am telling you so many performers get this wrong and wonder why they are not getting booked for more gigs. Or "being on time": let's be real- if you are ON TIME, you are technically late.

Now I am not, by any means, an expert or anything like that, but I guess I am just pointing out the DOs and DONTs and the guidelines to being a working actor. It is not "social hour" when we get to set. We should be in our scripts or paying close attention to our assigned P.A. (Production Assistant) so we won't miss a beat. Over the years, you will learn that each set is run differently but the same rules of etiquette apply across the board. 

Now I am not saying that you should not have fun or be yourself but understand that 99% of these people have NO IDEA who you are. Especially if you are not doing local work. You are representing yourself and in most cases, your agency as well. I am going into detail about this because I think to some there is this misconception that acting or performing or in most cases anything dealing with the arts just is easy. Like you wake up, you do it, you get paid or not, and that's it. HIGHLY NOT THE CASE. Our jobs and gigs are handled with as much integrity and diligence as if it were our '9 to 5s'.

Have you have met an actor? I didn't say a "celebrity", I said an actor? I am telling you the conversation will be like they have been running a marathon. We work and advocate and put ourselves out there so much…just to hopefully get a nibble. It is exhausting yet sooooo rewarding.

I respect my fellow artists for their hustle so much. Here is a video of me on set: This particular morning I was one of the leads for the shoot and I was able to document and bring my camera to set...well sort of ;) I got permission….





Brit

Twitter: @Broadway_B

No comments:

Post a Comment