Welcome!

Welcome to the B. Blog! What's happening right now with me will ALL be seen here. Upcoming performances, auditions, any and everything to do with my journey as a professional actress.

Monday, March 16, 2015

My Dreams Are NOT Deferred... (1)

March 16, 2015- A Raisin in the Sun Recap: The Vision

The Vision.

WELL….IT IS A WRAP! Folks, I honestly feel like I have crossed over a new threshold as a performer after wrapping A Raisin in the Sun this past weekend!  As you know, A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry is an American classic and I had the most esteemed honor of portraying the role of Ruth Younger. If you are familiar with the original film/play, this role was played by the legendary Ruby Dee and to know that I have now had the opportunity to even grace a smidgen in her footsteps…is an amazing feeling. 


This show has come up in my life 3 distinct times—and all have ended with me either having to drop out of the show or it was canceled or whatever. So I feel as though I was destined to perform in this play. I mentioned before that I had a dream about this show prior to getting casted… I had this dream two years ago in November 2013.  I distinctly remember…the seats. It was a large theater and the seats…the seats were a peculiar shade of green. And a large audience rumbling with laughter… So I am one to always seek out the truth from my dreams. I know it sounds odd but I know that God communicates with us in many different ways. I am a person that experiences Déjà vu quite frequently and I have come to find that: when you experience a bout of Déjà vu—embrace it. Why? Because that means you have seen or experienced this feeling or place before and the fact that you are seeing it AGAIN means…you are in the right place at the right time. In this case…the seats. So in my mind, I thought that those seats were going to be at one of the grad schools I auditioned for that following January in 2014. Sure enough, they weren’t.
 
So flash forward to August 2014, when I got offered the chance to play Ruth Younger and the director Marlon Hargrave tells the cast we will be performing at Willett Hall in Portsmouth, VA. Mind you I have NEVER been or seen Willett Hall before. So just in conversation I mention to the cast about my dream and Marlon goes “well, wouldn’t it be funny if the seats at Willett are the seats from your dream?” I laughed yet curiosity sat in. So…I googled Willett Hall and LO AND BEHOLD….there were the green seats!!! Lord, you would have thought I won the lottery the way I fell to my knees in tears. I am not nuts, people. I just know…I was meant to do this show.

Look out for Part II!


Brit

Twitter: @Broadway_B

No comments:

Post a Comment